Most of the time, employees may only enroll in or make changes to your benefits coverage once a year during annual enrollment. But there are certain “qualifying life events” that allow you to add or remove coverage for a spouse or dependents during the year, including:
- When you get married or divorced
- When you have a baby (birth or adoption)
- When your dependent child turns 26
- When you, your spouse or a dependent loses or gains coverage due to job loss or open enrollment
The links above provide complete details and instructions for requesting changes.
A few key points to note:
- It’s best to notify your Human Resources department or representative as soon as possible. They can help you with the paperwork.
- You must submit all completed paperwork within 30 days of the life event, unless otherwise noted. If you miss this deadline, you have to wait until the next annual enrollment period to make changes.
- A qualifying event will allow you to add or delete the current coverage level. There are four levels: You, Employee & Child, Employee & Spouse, Family.
- A qualifying event will not allow you to change your plan provider (CIGNA or United Healthcare) or your plan (HRA, HMO or HDHP).
Please contact your agency Human Resources office if you have questions about life events not addressed here.