Here you’ll find links to commuting options and resources offered to state employees.
- Georgia CommuteSmart
Georgia supports the expanded use of commute options and flexible work scheduling for eligible employees. Visit this site for helpful resources including the State Telework Policy and Agreement.
- Clean Air Campaign
Earn cash and win prizes for switching to a cleaner commute. Visit this site for tips on all types of commuting alternatives like carpooling, transit, telework, compressed workweeks, vanpooling, bicycling, walking and car sharing.
- Georgia NaviGAtor / 511
Online or on the phone, get highway traffic information plus connections to MARTA and other transit.
Carpooling and Sharing
Sign up for a carpool or vanpool. Learn about the Guaranteed Ride Home program.
Need a car for a mid-day appointment? Rent by the hour from this car-sharing service.
Transit – Metro Atlanta
Take advantage of state discounts on transit with payroll deductions. See your agency HR representative.
More Transit in Georgia
- Albany Transit System
- Athens Transit System
- Chatham Area Transit
- Hall Area Transit
- Macon-Bibb County Transit Authority
- Rome Transit Department
- University of Georgia Campus Transit
Pre-Tax Benefits for Commuters
State of Georgia payroll deductions for transportation and parking are set up automatically on a pre-tax basis.
If you wish to have your deductions taken on an after-tax basis, please complete the Commuter Reimbursement After-Tax Selection Form and return it to your agency’s HR office.
The IRS allows employers to offer qualified pre-tax transportation and parking benefits with the following limitations:
- Vanpool and/or mass transit may not exceed $125 per month.
- Parking may not exceed $240 per month.
- Transportation must be via mass transit facilities, a commuter highway vehicle, or parking expenses for any type of vehicle near the employee’s place of employment or a location from which the employee commutes to work via mass transit or vanpool.
- Amounts can be changed month to month and deferred year to year.
- Pre-tax amounts taken as a payroll deduction cannot be returned to the employee as taxable compensation.