Life Event – Birth or Adoption

Within 90 days of the birth or adoption of a child, you may make these changes to your benefits:

  • Add your child to your medical, dental and vision insurance plan options with coverage effective on the date of birth/adoption.
  • Enroll in a Health Care Flexible Spending Account and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account or change the amount in your current account effective with the first full pay period following the date of birth/adoption.
  • Add child life insurance for $3,000, $6,000, $10,000, $15,000 or $20,000 (Child life insurance cannot exceed 100% of your amount of Employee Life coverage).
  • Update beneficiaries on your retirement and insurance plans.

A qualifying life event (QLE) allows you to add or delete a coverage level (e.g., You Only to You + Family, or You + Family to You Only coverage). Certain QLEs allow you to change your plan options. It is the employee’s responsibility to submit required documents within the time allowed (90 days for births/adoptions). You are encouraged to contact your agency’s HR office or your plan’s eligibility and enrollment administrator (ADP/GaBreeze) as soon as possible. Your request for enrollment or a change outside of the enrollment period will only be considered if you submit the proper documentation within the time frame allotted.

To submit a request for enrollment or changes to coverage under the State Health Benefit Plan, you must log on to the SHBP enrollment portal at or contact SHBP Member Services at 800-610-1863 within 90 days of the birth or adoption. Your request for enrollment or changes in coverage under the Flexible Benefits Program must be completed via  or by contacting the GaBreeze Benefits Call Center at 1-877-342-7339 within 90 days of the birth or adoption. If you fail to submit the required documents within the time allowed, you will not be able to make changes until the next Open Enrollment.

Generally, QLE changes will go into effect the first of the month following the QLE.  For births and adoptions, the coverage effective date for the new coverage will be retroactive to the date of birth of the newborn or the date of the legal placement of the child(ren) due to the adoption.

If you have questions regarding a change in any of your coverages, first call your agency’s benefits coordinator. If you need further information about eligibility for health coverage, call the State Health Benefit Plan at 1-800-610-1863. For questions regarding your Flexible Benefits, please call GaBreeze at 1-877-342-7339.

Constructing a Leave

In preparation for your leave:

  • Determine how your benefits will be affected by your leave of absence. Call your human resources department to discuss options if you have short-term disability insurance or plan to take leave under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
  • Depending on your employment classification, you can construct a leave of absence using sick, vacation, personal, Paid Parental Leave, FMLA and/or unpaid time. Every situation is unique. Contact your human resources department to help you interpret programs and policies to plan the right leave for you.
  • It is highly recommended that employees manage their leave, as they would a savings account, to have the maximum amount of paid leave available in case extended absences, planned or unplanned, are necessary.

If you go on leave without pay, you must contact the State Health Benefit Plan and GaBreeze to ensure continuation of your benefits. If you do not continue paying premiums for coverage, your benefits will be cancelled. Be sure you review each plan description option and see your HR department for more information.

Other life events affecting your benefits: