Life Events – Marriage

Within 30 days of your marriage date, you may make the following changes:

  • Add your spouse to your medical, dental or vision plan.
  • Enroll in a flexible health and/or dependent care spending account, or change the amount in your current account effective with the first full pay period following the date of your marriage.
  • Add spouse life insurance for $6,000, $12,000, $30,000 $60,000, $100,000, $150,000, $200,000 or $250,000 (Spouse life insurance cannot exceed 100% of your amount of Employee Life coverage). If you are age 65 or older, the value of your spouse life coverage is reduced.
  • Update beneficiaries on your retirement and insurance plans.

Update your personal information:

  • Update your address.
  • Change your name.
  • Add your new spouse as an emergency contact.
  • Update the number of federal and state withholding allowances.
  • Update your marital status.
  • Update Outstanding Wages Beneficiary Election Form and submit to your agency HR Office.

A qualifying event only allows you to add or delete a coverage level (i.e., You Only to You + Family, or You + Family to You Only coverage). A qualifying event does not allow you to change your type of coverage (i.e., PPO to United Healthcare or Prepaid Dental to Regular Dental). It is the employee’s responsibility to submit required documents within the time allowed (30 days). You are encouraged to contact your agency’s HR office or plan administrator (SBHP/FLEX) as soon as possible. Your request for enrollment or a change outside of the enrollment period will only be considered if you submit the proper documentation within the time frame allotted.

To submit a request for enrollment or changes to coverage under the State Health Benefit Plan, you must submit a completed Membership or Discontinuation Form to your employer’s benefits coordinator within 30 days of a qualifying event (unless another time period is specified). Your request for enrollment or a change in any other coverage under the Flexible Benefits Program must be completed online at or by contacting the GaBreeze Benefits Call Center at 1-877-342-7339 within 30 days of a qualifying event (unless another time period is specified). If you fail to submit required documents within the time period allowed, you will not be able to make changes until the next annual enrollment period.

Generally, any changes will go into effect the first of the month following the date when the payroll deduction is changed to reflect your new choice. For some benefits, however, when you change coverage based on the acquisition of dependents, the coverage effective date for the new coverage may be retroactive to the date of the acquisition of the dependent in some circumstances, or may be the first of the month following the request to change coverage.

If you have questions regarding a change in any of your coverages, first call your agency’s benefits coordinator. If you need further information about eligibility for health coverage, call the State Health Benefit Plan at 404-656-6322 or 1-800-610-1863. For questions regarding your Flexible Benefit coverages, please call GaBreeze at 1-877-342-7339.

Other life events affecting your benefits: